Tuesday 13 February 2018

Open Heavens 14 February 2018: Wednesday daily devotional by Pastor Adeboye – Holy Unto The Lord


Topic: Holy Unto The Lord [Open Heavens 14 Wednesday February 2018]

Memorise: “Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.” – Psalm 91:14

Read: Daniel 1:1-8, Daniel 6:18-22 (KJV)

Daniel 1:1-8

1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it.

2 And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.

3 And the king spake unto Ashpenaz the master of his eunuchs, that he should bring certain of the children of Israel, and of the king's seed, and of the princes;

4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans.

5 And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king's meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king.

6 Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah:

7 Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel the name of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego.

8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

Daniel 6:18-22

18 Then the king went to his palace, and passed the night fasting: neither were instruments of musick brought before him: and his sleep went from him.

19 Then the king arose very early in the morning, and went in haste unto the den of lions.

20 And when he came to the den, he cried with a lamentable voice unto Daniel: and the king spake and said to Daniel, O Daniel, servant of the living God, is thy God, whom thou servest continually, able to deliver thee from the lions?

21 Then said Daniel unto the king, O king, live for ever.

22 My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt.

Bible in One Year: Leviticus 6-7, 1 Corinthians 1

MESSAGE

According to Psalm 91:14, one sure weapon against experiencing destruction and calamity is a life of holiness. Opinions differ on what it means to live a holy life, and to some, such a lifestyle is unattainable. However, with reference to biblical heroes of faith. I have been able to explain what holiness is all about. Holiness simply means obedience to God’s instructions. As long as you obey God’s commands, He sees you as an acceptable carrier of his image and He will love you for that. In John 14:21 & 23b, the Lord Jesus Christ expounded on this truth, saying:

“He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him……If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.”

Every child of God who knows God’s holy nature will also know that before the Trinity would decide to dwell within a person, he or she must be living a consecrated and holy life.

In our text for today, we see how Daniel guarded himself against the calamity and destruction that would have terminated his destiny later in life. Daniel 1:8a says

“But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank:”

Please note that a portion of the king’s meat and some measure of the king’s wine were part of Daniel’s entitlements as an undergraduate in the University of Babylon where he was studying in preparation for service in the king’s court, but he declined having them. Glory to God that Daniel’s modest life of consecration to God paid off for him on the day of calamity when he was thrown into the den of lions. He could testify to his friend, King Darius, in Daniel 6:22, saying:

“My God hath sent his angel, and hath shut the lions' mouths, that they have not hurt me: forasmuch as before him innocency was found in me; and also before thee, O king, have I done no hurt.”

Beloved, endeavor to live holy through a modest life of consecration unto God, and you can be sure of divine protection because of God’s love.

Prayer Point: Father, please help me to live holy for You and keep me safe in the holiness of your Son, Jesus Christ my Lord.

Hymn 5: I Have Decided To Follow Jesus

1. I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

2. The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back

3. Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
Though none go with me, still I will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

4. My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;
My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;
My cross I’ll carry, till I see Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

5. Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
Will you decide now to follow Jesus?
No turning back, no turning back.

Open Heavens 14th February 2018, Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer's Ministries.

iOpenHeavens is the electronic version of the Hard Copy. The Open Heavens devotional application is available across all mobile platforms and operating systems: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia, Windows Mobile and PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Heavens 17 February 2018: Saturday daily devotional by Pastor Adeboye – Greater Works Than These

Topic: Greater Works Than These [Open Heavens 17 Saturday February 2018] Memorise: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth ...