Tuesday 30 January 2018

Open Heavens 30 January 2018: Tuesday daily devotional by Pastor Adeboye – A Godly Role Model?


Topic: A Godly Role Model? [Open Heavens Tuesday 30th January 2018]

Memorise: “Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.” – 1 Corinthians 11:1

Read: Philippians 3:7-14 (KJV)

7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.

12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,

14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Bible in One Year: Exodus 15-16, Romans 5

MESSAGE

A role model is one who influences others to be like him or her. While there are godly role models, there are also ungodly ones who influence their followers to make choices that will lead them to the pit of hell. Today, we are reflecting on godly role models, and the Lord is asking you this question: “Are you a godly role model?” Apostle Paul was so sure of himself and his position in Christ that he was bold enough to challenge those within his sphere of influence to imitate him as he himself imitated the Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 11:1).

From our Bible text today, we can learn some things about Apostle Paul which mirror the principles and life of our Lord Jesus Christ. The first of these is a lifestyle of godliness. Paul said that all he was after in life is the prize of the high calling of God in Christ. Secondly, to learn how to please God, he wanted to know more about Christ, including the power of His resurrection, what it meant to share in His sufferings and how to be like Him in death. Thirdly, he was relentless, not only in keeping himself pure but also in labouring for the harvest of lost souls. Fourthly, for the greatness of knowing the Lord Jesus Christ, he forsook all his worldly achievements and followed after Christ. This attitude mirrors the life of his Master, who left His glory in heaven and take up the image of a servant on earth. He humbled Himself so much that He even laid down His life for all mankind (Philippians 2:5-8).

This lesson should challenge the Body of Christ in these end-times. I have observed that some pastors are not so mindful of where members of their congregation will end the Christian race. This is evident in the type of sermon they preach: messages that play on human emotions and nothing more. Concerning such pastors, Apostle Paul has this to say:

“17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample. 18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ: 19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)” - Philippians 3:17-19

What a role model of the Christian faith we have in Apostle Paul! You will be wise to have such a godly driven personality as an influence in your life.

Action Point: In your private study, examine the life of Paul and pray that God will give you the grace to manifest the virtues you desire in his life.

Hymn 12: Take My Life, And Let It Be

1.Take my life and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in endless praise,
Let them flow in endless praise.

2.Take my hands and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.

3.Take my voice and let me sing,
Always, only for my King.
Take my lips and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.

4. Take my silver and my gold,
Not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect and use
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose,
Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.

5. Take my will and make it Thine,
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own,
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.

6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.

Flatimes' Notice Board: Please do not prolong your salvation if you have not repented. Many are going home daily and tomorrow maybe too late.

Open Heavens 30th January 2018, Daily Devotional guide was written by Pastor E.A. Adeboye, the General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, one of the largest evangelical church in the world and also the President of Christ the Redeemer's Ministries.

iOpenHeavens is the electronic version of the Hard Copy. The Open Heavens devotional application is available across all mobile platforms and operating systems: iOS, Android, Blackberry, Nokia, Windows Mobile and PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open Heavens 17 February 2018: Saturday daily devotional by Pastor Adeboye – Greater Works Than These

Topic: Greater Works Than These [Open Heavens 17 Saturday February 2018] Memorise: “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth ...